Sunday 14 October 2012

Freedom in flightfulness

Having spent the last four years living on the road. I've come to recognise a need for self sustainability on the run.

  These are some items I need to Keep me going:

- Tent (MSR Hubba Hubba - extremely lightweight 3 season tent for two people, incase you've got company or alternatively your gear on rainy days in the squamish valley)

- Rain Gear (Arcteryx Alpha SV, for severe conditions in the mountains or swampy skid sin the lowlands. Also a solid pair of ryan pants)

- Base Layers (Icebreaker, and Mountain designs merino base layers, they require less washing, and keep you warmer than anything, even when wet.)

-  Jackets (Wool sweaters, that are both lightweight and warm are good insulators. Complete the layered feeling with An 850 fill down vest and a North face down jacket for extra warmth in the alpine - so long as the down is kept dry)

- Wool Socks - A large assortment of vibrantly coloured wool socks, the crazier the better.

- Wool top hat - my flare.

- Sleeping mat - a half size inflatable thermarest, keeps my head to my thighs comfortable at nights, super lightweight and rolls into nothing.

- sleeping bag - a Kelty, super light 3 season down sleeping bag, good down to -11C but has kept me warm down to -20C. Packs to the size of a softball. I also use a thermolite bag liner for easy washability and a few degrees of extra warmth.)

- Guitalele - Music on the go, allows you to jam with whoever wherever, play some hawaiian classics or  flamenco with this versatile traveller friendly instrument; don't forget a capo for other people to use when you jam.)

- I pod +I home, for those long bus rides or time spent in a tent when the weather wants to give you some solace from everything. Chill in it.

- Macbook Air, Small lightweight and everything I need for organising the next leg of the journey, writing and keeping in touch with friends and family.

- Drawing book, doubling as my journal and sketchbook, keeps me busy and my walking documented.

- A birthday gift for a friend back home.

- Things that keep me stoked.
    - climbing shoes and chalk bag
    - Surfboard bag with 2 Alaia surfboards "uncle George" and "poi" both fairly recent constructions which have been tested in waters all around the world.

- A camera- for documenting those finer moments, I just have a point and shoot compact digital, it's light and does everything I need it to. it's a pentax Optio 80. It's waterproof, childproof, shockproof crushproof and Tylerproof).

- Shoes, 2 pairs. 1 pair of casual around the block Volleys and a pair of Merril Trail glove's for long hikes and comfort. I don't wear shoes often so mainly these just allow me to enter shops when need be.)

- A Stove for cooking on the cheap, cutlery includes a spoon and a set of chopsticks, a couple small puts and pans plus due bottle)

- A swiss army knife and whistle for emergencies.

- Some rope (Bear hangs etc)

- toiletries with a hip flask and set of playing cards.

THE BAGGAGE

At the moment I'll be travelling a little heavier than normal, right now I've got everything in 2 backpacks and then my large double board bag.





1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are taking inventory so that you can hit the road again

    ReplyDelete